I am back..
I am bigger..(Ummmm.. At least my belly is)
Like every year, I want to set some goals for this year. Because life without goals is nothing but…Zombie??? Yeah. Zombie is the right word. It’s aimless and boring… So let’s set some goals and try to get them to some through the post.
1) Solo trip: It’s back again on this year’s list and I have placed it at the top. That much is the importance of this trip for me. I don’t know where I’ll go, when I’ll go, But I want to make it happen this year.
2) Socialize : Last year, I stayed aloof for most of the time. It’s time to get back to being human. I’ll try to attend as many social functions as I can with the exception of weddings and ring ceremonies. Best to avoid THE question.
3) Books : I have been successful reaching this target every year for past 4 years. I am making it difficult this time by setting a target of 40 books. This is steep by my standards. More because I am planning to read more hard copies instead of ebooks.
Three are sufficient. This is a mammoth task and a lot of effort is required to fulfill these. Along with this, I will also try to unclutter my mind. I feel that I have got a great start for this year. Making the most out of it will help me reach my goals.
Until I free up my mind…
It was lunch time today and I was just finished with my lunch. Generally, that leaves half an hour of time at least until I get back to my work. I use that time to continue reading my book on my Tablet. I think that is the best use of my time. But sometimes, I don’t feel like reading my book. Today was one such day and I thought of scrolling through my Twitter timeline which surprisingly is throwing less crap on my face everyday.
While scrolling through the timeline I found one tweet which was just casual. It didn’t have much responses at the time of viewing. But it struck me. Some tweep had asked a simple question. “What have you achieved in this year 2017 ? Have you made any difference?” The words may have been different but the subject is the same. I stopped scrolling and the tweet froze on my screen.
I did a rewind of this year. Starting from the month of October. No results found.
Then September. No results found.
Then August. No results found.
This continued till January. Not a single result to display. A feeling of disappointment took over. I did nothing substantial this year. I haven’t made a difference.
The feeling of disappointment has turned into the feeling of failure. What could I have possibly done so as to avoid this feeling? The bogey of thoughts started circumventing this feeling until a call for site inspection derailed it. I don’t know whether that call saved my day or not. I don’t know. I don’t know.
Is it necessary to achieve something every year? Do I have to make a difference every year? I have to find answers. I HAVE TO.
Aloha guys! It’s new year. Before I continue with my nonsense, here’s wishing you a happy and prosperous new year. Make the best out of it. Don’t complain if you can’t.
Now let’s see. What everyone does on the first day of the year is pen down some resolutions. Most resolutions definitely include joining a gym. Isn’t it. Weren’t you thinking of this? He he he. That’s on my list as well for whole together different reason. Let’s not get lost in thoughts. We have to make a list.
1) Reading : Over the last 3 years, This one resolution I have been able to keep up with. 3 years in a row!! Not a joke dude. I definitely deserve a pat on my back. So this year I am going to make it a little bit tough. I want to read 35 books. The difficult task is that I want half of it to be paperback or hardcover. Not ebooks. Believe me. It’s a difficult task. You cannot carry the book with you everywhere.
2) Solo hike : This has been on my mind for 2 years now. Couldn’t do it for some wrong reasons and a couple of right as well. I’ll have to be fit to be able to fulfill this. Hence the next resolution.
3) Join a gym : Oh God! I so want to do this. But my laziness keeps me away from joining a gym. I don’t want six pecks and the body of a model. I want to be fit and healthy and have good stamina (for all the right reasons). If I am able to make 30 days in a gym, Then it will last for a long time. BTW, Why there’s no tax relaxation for joining a gym? Are you listening Mr. Prime minister?
Fourth would have been get married. But I have completely lost interest in it. My practical sense tells me I have just 1% chance of getting married now. It’s better to keep this out of resolution list.
So what are your resolutions? Let me know.
We have to make new year resolutions. You know why? Assume you are a shooter. Not the Olympic Gold medal shooter. But the one who learned to shoot at the wild boar heading towards you. Now, You’ll have to aim at the boar and shoot. You may miss a couple of shots but eventually, You’ll end up shooting the boar. But if you shoot without aiming, In no time the wild boar will send you flying. And that’s why my friend, You need to aim. You must have certain goals or else the wild boar (Read Life) will send you flying.
Duh.. Two repeated sentences. But I’ll keep it that way.
So here are my resolutions for this year. I am not sure if I’ll succeed in it but I’ll make an honest attempt.
1) Take at two trips traveling alone.
I already find it hard to organize a trip with multiple variable. Most of those variable would produce an erroneous result. So it’s best to be the only variable in the equation.
2) Read more. 24 books this year.
I am not a voracious reader. But I love to read. Last year I set a target of 12 books and achieved it. (Yayyy!!!) This year, I am going to double that. I am pretty confident that I can achieve this.
3) Make new friends.
Not just Facebook friends. But those with whom I can hang out. In real life. The problem is, Most of my friends are now married and inaccessible. That makes me really uncomfortable as I always had company of my friends whenever I wanted. I am selfish here and I think I have to.
4) Start giving back
It’s high time I start giving back to the “society”. And while doing that, I need to make sure I don’t bloat about it.
That’s it. Four is enough. And for all the concerned and non concerned, Sorry.. But marriage is not on the list.
The first day of new year is always exciting and full of positive energy. we are greeted with happy faces almost all around. We make new year resolutions. It’s a different story we forget to work on them. We look for the new year diary, So that we can fill it up with everyday ramblings only to find it empty at the end of the year. It is also the time when we look back and go through the previous year.
That’s me actually….
Last year started on a positive note as usual but nothing happened for the first two months. I realized it was me and I had to put more effort to achieve. So I started my consultancy in the first week of March. I knew it would be difficult. I knew I won’t get much work for the year or so. But what I didn’t expect were the hurdles at the personal level. I wasn’t prepared for them. The result was a low point within the first two month of startup.
Lost and frustrated, there was only one thing that was holding me together. Hope. Tried and tested over that last decade, It always worked for me. Fighting with the difficulty to focus, I took baby steps. A couple of months of walking, I found myself on the right path. I am still struggling but now I know which way to go.
For the last six years or so, The last three months of every year, spoilt the whole year for me. I was very cautious this time. I didn’t want to make foolish mistakes, Which I had already committed during the first half of the year. I was happy with the proceedings.
In the month of November, I traveled the Northern India. I felt the change after the journey. I gained a little bit of focus to continue. Alone or with companions, Doesn’t matter. That was the moment I decided to travel every year.
There were a few things I ticked off at the end of the year. Things I always wanted to do. Silly, laughable and maybe very easy to do for some. Here’s the list
– Setup an office
– Experience a snowfall
– Visit Indo-Pak Border
– Pee from a bridge
– Dance like no one’s watching
– Take a long, quiet drive at 2am
I wish to complete some more this year. Fingers crossed.
Oh!! And Happy new year 2014 to all my readers.
Make the most out of everyday and